Traduce Aqui:

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

First Reading

This is the beginning of the final paragraph from my reading tonight: first night back at school. I think it explains why someone like myself, who loves to learn also enjoys teaching so much:

"La enseñanza, pues, está en función del aprendizaje: no tiene sentido en sí misma. El proceso de enseñar está imbricado en el proceso de aprender: son como las dos caras de una misma moneda."
(my translation follows)

Teaching, then, is a function of learning: it makes no sense on its own. The process of teaching is embedded in the learning process: they are like two sides of of the same coin.

... I am pleased with my first night's reading. I read for my Nutrition and Education class and General Didactic Principals (maybe that's right?...you've got to cut me some slack; I'm translating class titles.). Anyway you get the point. The second one I mentioned is obviously where this quote came from.

The reading set up the basic principals for "Educación Personal" (Personalized Educaion). The theory behind Personalized Education is that education is a product of human nature and the human condition. Individual, collective and cultural understanding of our humanity creates an image of the ideal person (defined as a concrete, singular, unrepeatable being)to be fulfilled through education. The idea is that our humanness at once requires education and formation, and at the same time is the basis and the drive for said education. A kind of chicken/egg relationship.
(Wow, do I love thinking about these kinds of things!)

In a nutshell: it's good to be back to the books!

Good night!

3 comments:

  1. I like that quote Op :D I'm really happy for you, I can picture you curled up in your warm Spanish house reading your books and telling the (future) dog to stop barking haha...ya not exactly perfect, but where's the fun in perfection? I love you my dear nerdy twinnie <3
    Bisou
    Maggie-Roo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opalatapus! Very brainy/nerdy/insightful post. You obviously have inherited my intellectual prowess! Glad you are getting into your studies, you're awesome. Uncle "D" (Very Well) says that your incredible command of the written English word stems from your bilingualism! I think I agree, but I gotta look up that word (the long one) first!

    Love you,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete