Traduce Aqui:

Friday, November 19, 2010

C is for Christmas...

I've got one private class that is really a tough one to get a hold on. It's mixed ages from 6-8. That doesn't seem too bad, but when you start to think about all the developmental changes between first and third grade, you can see my quandary!

The little six-year-old imps are still perfecting the art of using a pencil...so most writing activities are out of the question. One of the second graders is super hyper-active and can become quite disruptive...usually leading the way for the first graders (especially the little boy) to join in and start pushing, pulling or throwing himself on the ground. Then the third grader is a very sweet girl who earnestly works to understand what I say in English and carry out all the tasks, but understandably gets annoyed with her immature classmates. ...I can feel her there!

So far we've had some hiccups in the scheduling at the city building where I'm giving the classes. This week and next, we've had to forfeit the classroom to some other event that's been on the calendar for longer, which means we haven't even been able to fall into a routine of WHERE classes are held! The temporary place I'm using until next week doesn't have a chalkboard. That's okay, but sometimes drawing pictures when flashcards aren't available is a good tool! I've been challenged to come up with games that appeal to all the kids: games that are neither too difficult nor too easy; games that don't need a pencil or paper; and games that don't require too much new vocabulary because in one hour a week how many new words can a kid learn? Shouldn't be too incredibly difficult, but somehow I wind myself up about it all.

Anyway, after last class I told the kids we were going to start working on a Christmas presentation for the parents. I thought rehearsals would be a good way to use up at least 15 min of class time until Christmas break. Kids love Christmas and they love showing off to parents (plus, I think it's important for parents to see the kids in action. So many times they clam up in front of mom or dad) so they were really excited when I told them my plan: "Is it gonna be a surprise?," they all clamored. Bottom line: I promised my kids a Christmas play to rehearse for this Wednesday without the slightest idea of where I was going to find such a thing.

As always, the internet is a teacher's best friend when you're in a pinch for material or ideas. I got on Google and found lots of kids' plays, but not many that would be easy for ESL learners. And most of them were very religious focused, too. Although they're all (supposedly) Catholic, I prefer something a little less about Jesus. Just as the world wide web can be a great resource, it can also be an enormous waste of time because you have to sift through site after site of worthless ideas before you strike gold. About 25 min into searching, I was beginning to hate the internet and myself for promising this to the kids, when I stumbled upon the best idea ever: an acrostic poem play!

So using the word "Christmas," here's what my kids will perform for their parents on December 22nd:

C is for Christmas full of family and love
H is for Holly berries, red and bright
R is for Reindeer pulling Santa's sleigh
I is for Icy cold winter weather
S is for Santa, fat and jolly
T is for Trees we decorate together
M is for Mittens to keep our hands warm
A is for Angels spreading good news
S is the Star that guides the Three Kings

Each kid will memorize a line (or read it) and hold up his/her letter until they spell the word. Then I'm thinking we can sing the chorus to "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" because it's nice and repetitive for kids to learn quickly. :)

I'm excited...I hope they will be!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This sounds awesome Opie :D You really are a little teacher bug (sound like Mom or what?)I think it's a really good idea and will be really fun for the kids, I remember when my Spanish class did Snow White for the other kids at CRC....tons of fun!
    Bisou ma soeur :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds super cute! how awesome :-)

    As far as games, can you try things like "play house" or "play doctor" or anything? I always learn languages best when I do something in in the language. I don't know what level your kids are at so am not sure what would help. It's always fun to paint (practice with colors/numbers) and then learn the words for whatever picture you painted.

    ReplyDelete