Traduce Aqui:

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Things that don't usually happen in bars...

At least not in the U.S., that is.

I do recognize that it's a horrible stereotype, but one held by most Americans (I think), that nothing good can come of spending time in a bar. I am here to say that at least in Spain that isn't true.

Some of you who know me better or have listened to me rant about "hanging out" in Spain (ie: going to the bars) know I'm not always happy about the fact that most social interaction happens in these places. However, there are times, like tonight, when I leave the bar feeling desahogada (literally "un-drown"). The bottom line is I'm open to meaningful, enriching, social interaction in any way shape or form...just so happens that many times I DON'T think the bar is the most conducive environment to such an end.

Today is an exception to the rule. I am just home now from the bar (being Angelines's...our bar) after a lovely 3.5 hours of wonderful conversations. Really, since I don't have to get up early tomorrow I was tempted to stay, but then again there are things I want to do and I don't want to be exhausted.

A bar does lend itself to a certain ebb and flow of characters that you can't get when you hold a social event at your house (at least not usually). I mean, in a bar some people have to get to dinner at home and leave, so you talk to others and then new folks come... When the chemistry's right, it's a beautiful thing. The spontaneity of my birthday experience, for example, could only have happened in that kind of setting.

I just felt the need to let those of you at home who may worry for my introspective, contemplative, opinionated and social self that spending so much time in and out of bars isn't about endless debauchery, although that may be an side-effect; in fact, it is another equally beautiful way of interacting with many people at once.

While the American comes out from time to time craving a small gathering at home, I'm usually quite content to let my new-found, inner Spaniard take me out into the calle (street).

Besos


1 comment: