Traduce Aqui:

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Happy Baby to you...!!

No, I'm not pregnant! ;) That's how most Spaniard pronounce "birthday". The "th" sound is hard for them as is an English "r" so somehow "birthday" becomes "baby". And I was touched when Angelines (bad pronunciation and all) woke me up at 7am singing "Happy Baby to you..." Ha--too cute!

I had an atypical, but nonetheless lovely birthday.

The evening of the seventeenth I was ironing (so good and domestic of me, right?) and so I decided I wanted to talk with someone. I called my extra mom, Miriam's mom and we talked for nearly three hours! Then I called my family and had a nice conversation with my dad and finally, I got to talk with Miriam... At 5 am my time I got off the phone! It was just the way I wanted to start my birthday.

Angelines and I spent the morning preparing the bar for painting. We had to take down curtains, pictures and those of you who have been in the bar know there's a lot of work involved in taking down the giant flag hung over the bar. When we finished we headed out for our weekend cervecita and somehow managed to leave the house without our keys!

We were locked out so we went to my mother-in-law's for the extra key...which I also managed to lock inside the house. Luckily there was one other extra that our friend Nuria had! Anyway, we ended up staying out and about until around 12pm.

Jesus didn't come out, of course, and Antonio was only able to have two beers before he was off to his niece's bday party. Nuria was out of town. So I didn't celebrate with any of my closest friends, nonetheless the day was full of really fun, spontaneous interactions with people we don't usually spend time with. The owner of the bar where we spent the better part of the day bought me big pastry (a complete surprise) and even put candles in it for me! :) Everyone sang and we shared the "cake" with every one there with us.

Happy in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment