Traduce Aqui:

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Asparagus Time!


Today in the neighboring town of Sierra de Yeguas was the tenth annual Asparagus Fair. :) What fun! It was a sort of farmer's market Spanish style...that is to say with blaring music, castanets, and cerveza.

We went with a couple of friends and met up with a few more there. I'm sad to report that we really didn't end up eating too much aparagus. We had asparagus omelet, but I didn't see the grilled asparagus until we had to go and there wasn't time to order! :( It looked soooo good.

We got back to La Roda at about 4 o'clock. Angelines went to work, I had a coffee and FINALLY went for a bike ride on my new bike. Do you remember that I bought a bike during Easter Week? Well, I still hadn't gone for a ride until this afternoon.

I love my bike. I'll post a picture soon. Anyway, I went out for about an hour and a half ride. I went all the way up to the ermita de San Pancracio (that's where we celebrated our wedding). Those of you who came or have seen pictures know it's a really steep hill toward the end... I made it all the way to the top although my tongue was hanging at least half a mile out of my mouth! It was a beautiful afternoon and it was wonderful to ride around exploring.

Angelines and our friend ChiChi (not his real name).

This is how they used to keep track of the tab in most bars--writing with chalk on the counter. Now it's less common...probably because people would wipe away a few drinks when the bar tender wasn't looking (I was tempted). ;)

This was a group of musicians playing guitars and mandolins...I think even a violin or two with a group of dancers who accompanied the music with ribbon adorned castanets. It's typical in Malaga, apparently. La Roda belongs to the province of Sevilla and I've never seen such a thing; however, my sister-in-law, who lives in Sierra de Yeguas, Malaga, says it's typical at all of their fiestas.

Eat some asparagus to my health. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great time! Glad you finally got a bicycle, you'll love it there in the good spring and summer weather.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, so much fun! looks like you had a delightful time :-)

    ReplyDelete