Traduce Aqui:

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Praia at Lavra

You want me to eat what??
Day dawned at Porto Riad Guest House; after walking the dog--I found a nice park close by where I could let her off the leash--and having a nice complementary breakfast, we headed out to explore.  The beach was never far from our sights on most of our explorations...I think you're beginning to realize that.  Bela was just too much fun to play with in the sand and waves, and of course the water was a welcome break for her from the hot car.

About thirty minutes outside Port we headed west and wound our way over country roads to the town of Lavra.  Of course we didn't have any of the necesary beach items (namely an umbrella for shade or bathing suits) so the plan wasn't to stay long; but of course my dog couldn't get enough of her ball and the ocean, and my mom spent a full hour bent over in one place looking for microscopic shells in the sand: her favorite pastime at the praia.

Angelines and barnacles
Angelines is alergic to the sun.  She breaks out in an itchy rash if she's exposed for too long so the two of us paid to rent a little beach tent.  We sat in the shade and watched my dad wear out the dog.  As so often happens, the unexpected adventures turn out to be the most fun.  Our "quick stop" at the beach turned into a full day affair and we ended up eating the best seafood lunch of our whole vacation at the nearby bar that overlooked the Atlantic.  My parents couldn't stop saying what GOOD food it was; but even Angelines, who is somewhat of a connoisseur, was impressed.  I think the best part of the meal were the percebes--dragon claw barnacles.  I was taken aback by their completely inedible appearance, but once my daring mother showed me how to eat them, I couldn't get enough!

In Spain percebes are very expensive.  They grow on the rocky cliffs of the Atlantic coast off the State of Galicia in Northwestern Spain and are very dangerous to harvest.  A kilo can cost 40+ euros.  In Portugal, however, they were much cheaper--about half the price.  I think perhaps there is a greater supply since Portugal has more coastline than Galicia.  The cook also informed us after our meal that his son had personally harvested the barnacles we'd enjoyed and that they grew on the rocks just off-shore from where Bela had been playing with her ball!  So they are apparently less difficult to collect in Portugal, as well.

With bellies full of clams, octopus, grilled squid and barnacles, we made our way back to the city.  In the evening, we walked down to the river bluffs and explored a little more.  I'll leave  you with pictures.

Looking out over the Douro river
Plaza with beautiful tiled church in the background.  The Portuguese are very religious; our rock radio station was interrupted at tweleve noon to recite a Rosario and Hail Mary!
Strangely enough, a building under restoration!  ...My mom in the foreground taking pictures--how strange!  I think she took well over 3000 pictures.  Thankfully, she purged her memory card every evening. ;)

The Douro winding out to the Atlantic.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love the last pic of the Duoro with the old tile roofs in the foreground. Very artsy!!

    Love you!

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete