Traduce Aqui:

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Home on the Range

Flew into Reno at 1pm Monday--what a difference compared to the green, green Northwest!  Maggie and my mom met me at the airport.  Take a look at the awesome sign my sis made for me:


Note the EuroCup 2012 logo and "Viva España!".  Those of you out of tune with the "football" world might not know that Spain's national team made football history when it won its third consecutive title--Euro Champions 2008; World Champions 2010; Euro Champions 2012!  Pretty exciting.  As they say in Spain: no hay dos sin tres. ;)

pretty amazing, huh?
And so I'm back on the ranch, walking the dogs, catching my horses and enjoying the sun that I didn't see a whole lot of up in Portland.  Things at home are about the same as always.  The most impressive improvement to the home are the two GIGANTIC solar panels my parents had installed.  All of our electricity is generated by these panels and then the leftover (and there is leftover) is sold back to the grid so my parents are even making a little money on this investment along with saving quite a lot.  I wish I could do this in Spain!  We certainly have enough sun.  Although solar water heaters are extremely common, I think the electric companies have a vested interest in keeping this kind of technology out of the people's hands.  Unfortunately, the bills are quite high and rising.

Last night I went on a lovely evening walk with my best friend's parents and then ate dinner over at their house.  Today I'm taking a trip with my sisters into Reno for some shopping and a few errands and this evening Maggie is treating us to dinner. :)  She is taking us out to the restaurant where she works because I've never been.  It's a birthday dinner for sisters only--no parents allowed!  It's just as well that mom and dad  are busy with Rotary functions tonight.

On my way out to Ross Meadow for my walk last night I saw a heard of deer along the roadside; and on my way home I couldn't help noticing how many stars dotted the night sky.  Just a few of the things I used to take for granted, but after being in Spain for nearly six years, I notice with a new appreciation.

It's good to be home.

1 comment:

  1. Viva Espana!! Viva Viola!!

    It is so wonderful to have you home.

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete