Traduce Aqui:

Friday, July 20, 2012

Big Gouda

The Big Gouda with his personalized D.G. sign.
That's what Maggie and I have started calling my dad: Big Gouda.  We think we're quite clever because this year he is a big cheese (get it?) in Rotary--District Governor.  So this summer and for the rest of this year, really, he's pretty swamped with Rotary functions he "gets" to attend. ;)  Yesterday was a meeting at a club in Trukee.  He was giving his District Governor's talk and Maggie and I got to go an hear his speech.  I don't think there was a dry eye in the house by the end of it...or at least no one who wasn't struggling to fight back tears.  It was very motivational, very moving and very well delivered.  My dad's quite a hot shot...even if he did have, as Maggie pointed out, half of his lunch spilled on his nice Rotary blazer! ;)  Some things just don't change.

After the meeting we made our way over to South Shore Tahoe for dinner at my Great Aunt Lucille's house (Lucy's namesake for those of you who don't know).  We had a really great visit; it's been four years since I last saw them.  My Uncle Frank's niece came over for dinner too.  It was lovely to see her.  And my Aunt Joanne was also in town visiting.  I think it's been at least six or eight years since I've seen her!  Far too long.

Aunt Jo, Dad, Me, Uncle Frank, Maggie, Aunt Lucille

We made it over there around 4 in the afternoon and spent a nice long time visiting and hearing family stories before dinner.  Aunt Lucille is my Grammie's sister; that's my dad's mom's sister.  We always love hearing stories from her childhood; adventures with my Grandma or stories about sister spats between them. :)  So we sat around munching on brie cheese catching up on my life in Spain and remembering our favorite family stories.  Very wonderful, relaxing evening.

Dinner was pot roast, baked potatoes, grilled asparagus and green salad with fruit for dessert.  Delicious!  I ate far too much and felt a little sick on the way home, but it was worth it.  What great food and even better company.

Me and Auntie Lucy

1 comment: