Traduce Aqui:

Thursday, January 28, 2010


Hello all,
I've decided to give a little bit of tourist information, just for fun. These are two things in Antequera (the town where I work) that should not be missed!

El Torcal:
Believe it or not, these aren't flat rocks stacked on top of each other. These are the unique limestone formations at the Torcal in Antequera. For those of you who have been to Bryce Canyon, they remind me of the san
dstone Hoodoos, only grey, not red. It's a pretty spectacular place to visit and has some nice hiking trails.
I've actually only been to the Torcal twice, most recently in December when my Aunt Su and Uncle Bill visited. That was when I discovered the visitor's center. My previous visit had been on a Monday and it was closed. They've got an interpretive film and small museum dedicated to the geology of the area.

Los Dolmenes:
The second thing I wanted to share with you all were the Dolmenes of Antequera. They are the oldest megalithic structures preserved in Europe (approx. 6,500 years old).
They're older than Stone Henge!
It's pretty amazing that they're right here just 25 min. from little La Roda! They are assumed to be related to the funeral rituals of the prehistoric Iberians.

One other tidbit: Antequera has the most churches per capita than any other city in the world! Isn't that crazy?

Ah...and just so as not to be left off the map: La Roda has the most cars per capita of any city in Andalucia! (Not sure that's something to be proud of, but it's amazing nonetheless.)

2 comments:

  1. Cool stuff!! I guess this means you are sticking to the bicycleta?

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry your Daddy is such a dork, Opie :) I assume Cherry was taken into consideration in the La roda Car Census??

    PS: I want to visit these sites when next we come to see you, K??

    XO - MA

    ReplyDelete