Traduce Aqui:

Saturday, January 23, 2010

From the kitchen:

Well, since I have nowhere to sit in the kitchen and it's uncomfortable to write standing up, I've just moved into the living room. But I am cooking away. :)

Tomorrow our favourite football team is playing at 12 noon, so Angelines will open the bar much earlier than usual. (Ha! Google agrees that that is the WRONG way to spell favorite! Take that British spellings!) We're planning to have some tapas and after the game we'll make a paella for all. I'm currently cooking up the sofrito (sauteed onions, peppers and tomatoes) for the paella.

At the same time I've got a chocolate cheescake in the oven. :) Mmmmm... Tonight is my weekly dinner with Jesus and Antonio. We get together every Saturday night because there's a TV program we're hooked on: Se llama copla. It's a music show similar to American Idol, but the songs are traditional Andalusian songs. Thanks to this show, the genre has made a big come-back here in Spain.

For many years it was associated with the Franco dictatorship because the music was quite popular in the 40's; however, the lyrics and feelings transmitted in the songs really have nothing to do with politics. Typically, most are about love: love lost, unrequited love, first loves, etc. The themes range from comic to tragic. Really they're like poems put to music. Perhaps that's why I've come to like them so much.

In the beginning, I sat through the four-hour programme (hehehe, google doesn't like that spelling either!) because it was an excuse to have dinner with friends and it was much better than being home alone. But now I really enjoy listening to the music, and of course the program's got its own "reality" aspect so you get to know the contestants a little bit.

So, here I am preparing dessert for our Saturday Copla dinner. I think my cheescake's nearly done. I'll leave you all with your mouths watering.

Hasta pronto

1 comment:

  1. Well, my project today was loading the old beetle on the flatbed so I can haul to the shop in Reno on Monday. The right front lower "ball joint" finally gave up after 44 years of potholes and bumps. Luckily Maggie was just exiting a gas station in Portola when it broke, and made it to the curb without incident. So, it was a project digging out the trailer in the snow, shoveling about a foot of snow off of the deck, and winching, pushing and driving the car up. Pretty tough with the broken suspension in front. But, it is read to go, and will be fixed in a few days!!

    Hope you liked the poem by Michael J.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete