Traduce Aqui:

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Where does the time go?

I look at the baby clothes that we brought Emily home from the hospital in...and even now it's hard to remember that they were huge on her.  Of course, now they don't even fit her.  When I look at the pictures of her that I've posted here on the blog, I can see the change in her little face, but it's hard to really get an idea of her size in the pictures.  You can't really see how she's grown and filled out; how her little legs have doubled in size and her belly is disproportionately big and round.  It seems that her clothes MUST be shrinking!  Can she really be growing so much and so fast?

Today as I was looking at her holding her head so straight and looking out the window while my mother-in-law held her and cooed to her in Spanish, I couldn't help thinking she looked like such a very big girl.  She will be 10 weeks old Tuesday...

And that brings me to another point: tomorrow my parents head for home in California.  It really has been a gift having them here.  All long-term visits have an adjustment period, and I'd like to think that when I was short with them I could blame it on post-partum hormones (not always the case probably...), but in general, I think we've worked out living together quite well.  I think that they have enjoyed being here just as much as we have enjoyed having them.

It's been wonderful of course, to just be able to dedicate myself to my little one and completely forget about cooking, cleaning, dog walking, etc.; but it's also heartwarming for me to see the joy that my little girl brings them.  And if I am amazed by my baby's growth, I can only imagine what they must be thinking now being faced with leaving her.

We are arranging a weekly skype session for little Emily A. to get her regular dose of grandparents and English.  This summer we're planning to be in the States for at least two weeks as well, which means grandma and grandpa will get to really see the differece in their little girl--a lot happens between 2 and 6 months!  There are times, like now, when being closer to family would be heavenly... but I like to think that being so far away from each other means that usually when we see each other it's for a more extended period of time.  Other families might see each other more often, but I think we usually see each other for about as much total time as other families because the reality is that even if we lived in the States, we wouldn't most likely live in the same town as all our family.  And that means that we'd see each other at Thanksgiving, Christmas and probably one or two other times during the year.  Thanks to skype and whatsapp and viber, we can even communicate very frequently all for free--it's a small world after all. ;)

Anyway, Angelines, Emily A. and I will all be very sorry to see grandma and grandpa leave.  It will be another adjustment to make for our little family to be living and opperating all on our own (or as much on our own as my in-laws will allow!).

Thanks mom and dad.  I love you and I'll miss you.

2 comments:

  1. It was a life experience for me too little girl. an amazing experience. I hate to leave, but know that you have great family support here. can´t wait to watch little Em grow on Skype, and see her again in Junio! luvumx>forever!!
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always were the "Smart One", Baby Girl <3 ... and once again, you're spot on - you have given us an amazing gift with this time together. Not many daughters would be willing to have their parents move in for 3 months - LOL!! Thank you, Darlin', for so generously sharing your life and our BEAUTIFUL grandaughter. 1000X - Mama ("Abuela!!!")

    ReplyDelete