Traduce Aqui:

Sunday, October 12, 2014

"Grandma" Shower

Last Monday, my Aunt organized a "Grandma" shower, thusly named because my mother would be attending in my (and Emily's) stead.  I have never been to a baby shower, and unfortunately the skype connection was horrible when I made my virtual appearance at what was really my own shower; but all the same it was wonderful to see so many people I love all in one place.  At least I could hear how much fun they were having even if the image was too pixelated to make out facial features. :)

When I first heard of the Grandma shower, I was thrilled for my mom because I know she's been feeling the 5,792 miles that separate us more than ever in the last nine months.  Celebrating my baby (her first grandchild) with family and friends would make her feel a little closer to me.  I was happy to think of her basking in the attention of all the atendees, glowing with enthusiasm for the little being that is about to make her a grandma.

However, when I discovered that the "grandma" shower was a baby shower in disguise, I must admit I was a little less excited. Let me explain: I despise situations that put people in a position where they're excpected to spend money.  At baby showers, you're supposed to bring gifts.  I thought a grandma shower would just be some fun and games, food and maybe some cute grandmotherly things for my mom...  But a baby shower is different.

It's not that I don't enjoy getting gifts, and Lord knows that babies entail a lot of "things" (trust me, I've been going crazy arguing with my in-laws about just what's necessary and what we can do without); but I don't like to think of people having to buy me something because they were invited to a party.

It's kind of like sending out H.S. graduation announcements--they're a subtle (or not so subtle) way of asking for money/gifts.  Once you have the announcement, you can't feign ignorance if you just don't feel like buying a gift/sending money.  I felt the same way about baby showers: once you're invited, you have to find a gift!

I enjoy getting gifts from people when I know that they come from the heart, that they weren't subtly coerced into the purchase.  But when I dutifully skyped into "my" baby shower on Monday, I completely changed my opinion.  Even through the bad connection, I could feel the love emannating from across the ocean via my computer screen and I wished I could have been there in person.

In Spain, babies are celebrated differently.  There are no baby showers, no ceremony to celebrate the unborn child.  I suppose that here, baptisms assume that role: celebrating and welcoming the new baby. Gifts are generally reserved for after the birth. But having this brief, virtual connection with my traditions, seeing so many of my people gathered together to honor my little Emily Alejandra, anticipating her arrival into this world, helped me remember just how BIG this really is.  And, of course, that it deserves due celebration.

We felt very loved and I'm so thankful for all of the friends and family who attended. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment