Traduce Aqui:

Sunday, October 5, 2014

36 weeks and counting...

I know it's been a long time without a blog.  There is much to tell, but as usual time seems to get away from me before I can sit down to write it all out.

All is well.  We had an ultrasound appointment just three weeks ago and miss Emily is nearly in position...  If you can imagine a clock on my tummy, her head was just between 7 and 8 o'clock, when it should be at 6 o'clock, of course.  I'm not sure about the US, but here if a baby is breech or otherwise not in the correct position, they schedule a C-section directly even though I've read that some babies can turn during labor.  I suppose there's less risk involved in a cesarean if the woman doesn't go into labor first.  However, there is a procedure that can be done under certain circumstances and after the 36-week mark to move the baby into position from the outside.

I would prefer to avoid a cesarean at all costs and so I asked about this at our last appointment.  The doctor said that I was a fine candidate for the procedure especially since in theory they wouldn't have to do much poking around to move little Emily down into position--she's almost there.  We agreed that if by tomorrow she hadn't moved, we would schedule an appointment to move her for this Friday the 10th.

Of course any kind of poking around involves the risk of the placenta dettaching from the utirine wall, which means they would have to do an emergency C-section, so there are necessarily some precautions to be taken into consideration.  I would have to be admitted into the surgery ward and given a small ammount of sedative and then be under observation for about two hours after they were finished.  None of this exites me much so I am hoping that tomorrow she'll have gotten herself into place.

At the appointment prior to this last one she was nearly completely breech: head at about 1 o'clock.  The doctor gave me some exercises to do to help turn her and I have been doing those daily ever since.  They seem to be working somewhat since at this last visit she was nearly turned, so I'm hoping that in these three weeks with exercises and walking she'll have moved that last little bit on her own.

Cross your fingers.
Awkward selfie at 36 weeks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment