Traduce Aqui:

Monday, February 11, 2013

Laying Down the Law

My kids' class from 7-8 on Tuesdays is a group that tends to be chattery, easily distracted and unfortunately there are a few students who just won't leave each alone: always stealing pencils, pushing, pinching, and name-calling.  Since we began in October, they've improved a lot, but there is one child in particular who likes to stir things up and is very good at getting everyone riled up and off-track.  Finally, last class, I decided we needed to get serious and lay down some rules.  

I've never had a list of class rules, though I know it is a good idea.  I suppose mostly that's due to the fact that my classes are small enough that things never get too far out of hand.  In any case, I decided that this class needed some explicit rules and some explicit consequences.  We spent the better part of the class period brainstorming rules and punishments.  This poster is what we came up with.  I didn't make up any of these rules; ALL of them were the students' suggestions.  I was particularly impressed with "Speak Enlish as much as possible!". :)  The idea of using yellow and red cards like in soccer was also their idea--apparently the PE teacher at school uses this method.

We'll see how things go tomorrow.  I am hopeful.  At least in theory, when the kids make up the rules themselves there's more buy-in--they're more likely to follow them and feel that the punishment for breaking them is fair.  

No comments:

Post a Comment