Traduce Aqui:

Friday, February 1, 2013

Feeling Better

I've just about kicked my cold... though I do have a residual cough.  Somehow colds always tend to settle in my chest and I spend the better part of winter with a lingering cough.  But at least I'm feeling better and I'm not sneezing quite so much.  I have had to cancel  anymore classes either.

And speaking of classes, a little more about my adult class.  It's going well, although yesterday one of the students with more language experience commented, "don't you think we're going a little fast?"  Yes, and no. I have opted for jumping right in with a lot of vocabulary to get things going and so yes, it seems as though we're going far too quickly for any of this to really sink in.  However, my plan is to get a limited base of phrases that can be used in different situations and practice them throughout the three months of the course.  We've only had four classes so far so I think it's understandable that at the moment things seem like too much too fast.  I am planning to be "recycling" all the vocab we've studied so far, but getting to that point, means a lot of vocabulary thrown out there at once.

Perhaps I've made the wrong decision with the way I've organized the class, but my understanding of the course was to give the students a semi-solid base that they can use to be able to function with a minimum level of English in a variety of situations.  This is all new to me.  We'll have to see how things pan out.  I may end up needing to slow things down some, but I'm hoping that my students take advantage of the resources I've made available online to practice from home, too.

Other news...  I have little time for anything other than teaching, prepping and studying, but this weekend I am planning a movie night with A.  Saturday is the fiesta called Candelaria.  In the past our friends have all gotten together and had the traditional bonfire/bbq on the land where we have now built the bar.  This year, that's not possible... :)  And this year I'm feeling like a home-body, not much up for going out into the cold and stuffing myself on chorizo (although it is tasty!).  Since there's never much business the night of Candelaria, Angelines is expecting to close pretty early--around 10ish or maybe sooner.  We're going to have pizza delivered to the house, snuggle up on the couch with a fire blazing and watch movies. :)  Hooray!

Of course, this means that I'll need to be super-productive tonight so as not to get behind with things, but I think I can manage; after all, movie night is pretty good motivation. :)

1 comment:

  1. I think you have taken the best approach. Your pace was set by the City, three months! It sounds to me like you are using an innovative and creative approach to provide your students with the best chance at success.

    Love you so much!

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete