Traduce Aqui:

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Whirlwind Weekends

I'm snacking on fresh pineapple for dessert, watching Spain's second game of this year's Euro Cup Championship (Spain-Ireland: currently 3-0!) and have decided to send you all a long over-due post rather than doing any studying. :)

Signing the papers.  Angelines was one of the witnesses in the ceremony.
Last weekend was the wedding of two of our good friends.  It was a beautiful, intimate ceremony, held outside in one of the Roda's new parks.  The weather was perfect.  By the time the 7 o'clock ceremony rolled around there was a light breeze and  it was beginning to cool off (that means only high 80's).  The flowers were beautiful, the grooms were both stunning, and the general atmosphere was a festive one full of love--a perfect wedding.

I was very honored to be asked to speak during the ceremony and even choked up a bit during my speech.  Listening to the other speakers got the tears really rolling and I found myself thankful I wasn't wearing mascara.  There were rivers running down my cheeks.

Giving the rings
In Spain, the norm is getting married by the church.  If you're married by the church in Spain, it must be IN the church.  No one has a catholic wedding outside.  This was, of course, a civil wedding and therefore it was more "American" in the sense that it was very much personalized for the wedding couple, friends reading and even a song was dedicated to the grooms.  In the church weddings I've attended here in Spain (four, I think...) there are different readings from the Bible and a lot of talk about the couple's commitment to each other before God.  There isn't much, if anything, very personal said about the individuals.  I prefer a more personal wedding, perhaps because it's what I'm used to, but in either case, this one just felt good: all of us, family and friends together celebrating the beautiful union of two very dear people.  There was nothing over-done, or distant about the ceremony, quite the contrary; and when the grooms kissed and then gave each other a big, long hug, it just felt simple and right.

The ceremony was of course followed by appropriate Spanish merry-making, which means we were out until the wee hours.  I left early, around 6am ...just slightly earlier than my own wedding. ;)  

Here are some pre-wedding photos for your enjoyment:

Getting dressed:  the groom and witness




This is the groom's nephew who was the ring bearer...he broke down in tears when he realized he was expected to walk up in front of so many people with his little pillow.  Even with his mom he began screaming and bawling...poor kid.


Monday, Angelines and I drove the grooms to the airport to leave on their honeymoon and since then the week has flown by.  As always, it seems the more time you have, the more things crop up to be done!  I've decided against going to the romería in Valverde (our sister romería)...

GOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLL! (4-0 Viva la Roja!)  Excuse the interruption. ;)

...as I was saying, the romería this weekend would just be too much.  It's going to be my last full weekend at home before I leave for the summer.  The following weekend are my exams in Seville; I want to be at home.  Besides, getting in some more studying won't hurt either. ;)

1 comment:

  1. The wedding looks beautiful Opie! I'm so happy for them :) I'm just catching up on all your posts but instead of commenting on all of them I'll just hit up this one. They're making great progress on the bar, wow! And Bela is, as usual, adorable!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete