Traduce Aqui:

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Overcoming Perfectionism

I've gotten all the test scores back...

The good news first: I passed them all.

The not so good news: I did much worse than I thought...even on the ones I felt good about.

Of my five tests the highest score I got was an 8,8 out of 10. The lowest was 5,25 (a five is passing). The night after I found out about the 5,25 I actually dreamed about it all night. Obsessing? Maybe just a little. The next morning I woke up with a cold sore. :(

Despite the exam scores, I passed all my classes with good grades. I got notable in all but one, which was a sobresaliente. That's roughly equivalent to all B's and an A. So I can't be too disappointed, but it's frustrating to know that I could have done much better...quite possibly straight sobresaliente had I only done better on the exams. I've only got myself to blame...which really only makes things worse!

But it is true that this is just the first semester. Now I know what all this distance learning is about. I know what the exams are like and I know how to study (or how NOT to study, as the case may be). This coming semester I can juggle things better so as not to be so unprepared at the last min.

In any case, I'm taking this as an opportunity to overcome my perfectionism. I could have studied more and I could have gotten better grades, but at what price? Aside from studies, I am working and like to have time to spend with my friends, with Angelines and blogging to all of you! So would straight sobresaliente compensate for less of a social life, less time enjoying my wife and fewer blog posts?

Although, I say, "Not by a long shot," it's harder to actually walk the talk.

Settling for less than my best isn't something I'm used to, but unfortunately I believe it's a valuable lesson to learn. Sometimes the trade-offs just aren't worth it; and running myself ragged to do it effects more than just me and my own mental/physical health.

3 comments:

  1. I say good job Opie! Seriously, who else could have pulled that off? Not a lot of people! And I think you are very right to set your priorities to where the people in your life come first :) I love you Twinnie! Now it's even more obvious why I'm obsessed with being you! ;)

    Love love love
    Maggie-Roo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Viola!! I would say that you pulled off an incredible feat. Not perfection, but excellent work, while keeping your priorities in order. What grade did you get on your project?

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh you have captured the eternal conflict of medical school! I know just what that is like! I can't offer any advice though bc I only survived 2 semesters of fighting the perfectionism urge then I became a crazy person! However, most of my friends were med students and Brendan was working 80-100hrs a week so I had less of a life to want to maintain!! Congrats on passing everything!

    ReplyDelete