Traduce Aqui:

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Feliz Cumplemeses

Instead of a cumpleAÑOS...today is Emily Alejandra's third cumpleMESES. :)  That's right, my baby is three months old today.  I can hardly believe it.  She is ceratinly growing big, strong and fat!  We took her to the pharmacy to weigh her today and she's up to 5.6 kilos (12lbs 5 oz); three kilos above birth weight so an average of one kilo per month.  Not bad...just glad I don't gain weight that easily/quickly!
The hat Auntie Maggie made for her is nearly too small already!  ...Big-headed Wilbanks.

Things are going pretty smoothly around here, although we're coming up on another adjustment period.  Next week I'll begin teaching a few of my classes again.  For now I'm only going to be teaching my youngest students so that means only three hours one day a week.  I have to say I am not looking forward to it at all...but complaining about such a ridiculously small work load seems incredibly self-centered when I know many of my friends are working 40 hour weeks and had to go back to work even earlier than I am after having their babies.  

Normal maternatiy leave here in Spain is four months, so I'm almost there.  Of course, since my work is all under the table this isn't real (read paid) maternaty leave.  If I had it my way (or if Angelines earned a bit more) I wouldn't go back to work at all.  (I feel silly even writing that: "work"...but I really would just love to be with my baby ALL day EVERY day as I have been now for three months.)

  
Like I say, I'm starting out slowly: just the kids' classes for three hours a week, and we'll see where it goes from there.  I may begin teaching a few hours out of home a little later on in the spring.  In this second semester for my university studies I'm not taking anymore classes (Yay!), just working on my final capstone project (Yuck!), so that's work I also have to keep in mind when planning to take on more English classes or not.   

Regarding my capstone project, I'm kind of excited for a change.  I really have enjoyed all my classes, but it will be nice to do something different.  Research can be fun.  I don't really know what I'll do my project on...definitely something related to bilingual teaching...but I can't tell you much more than that.  Actually my Didáctica de la literatura infantil class is making me think that maybe I can do something with children's literature in English or bilingual literature.  Sounds promising, right?  I'll keep you posted.

So as I am dragging my feet about getting back into teaching, Angelines is plotting ways to bring in more money at the bar.  Bless her heart.  We're having a concert on March 7th that we're selling tickets for in order to defray the cost of the band.  I am so glad she's come to see that selling tickets is the only way to make money when we have groups come and play!  Let's hope we sell out. ;)

She has also been picking up the slack around the house since I've been on "vacation" as she jokes. ;) But it is true that I cannot do as much housework as I used to just because a certain small someone demands quite a lot of attention (and food).  As I say, things are going pretty smoothly.  We've found a routine and have been enjoying being a little family.  Angelines hasn't been opening Thursdays because after the holidays it's more expense than it's worth (electricity, heating, etc.) so that's an extra day to have her here at home with us.  And we have been going on weekly outings (even if only to Estepa) to mix things up and get out of Dodge a bit.

Well, this is a study-break blog so I should get going.  My exams are Friday.  Wish me luck.  My sister-in-law is coming along with me to babysit while I take my exams...we'll see how my little girl holds up.  She usually starts getting fussy in the afternoons and my exams are at 5 and 7:30pm... hmmm.  Once again, wish me luck. ;)

She likes relaxing on the couch with mamá after siesta.

2 comments:

  1. Sitting here: sipping my iced coffee, nibbling on a "monticow" and reading yer blog. This is even better then my "morning what's app"... and I didn't think that was possible!!! Love you (AND MISS YOU) all so much - thanks for the beautiful glimpse into your day. XOMA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sweet Pea. Love reading your posts, feeling really guilty about my lack thereof. I will hit it this afternoon. Glad things are getting adjusted. Hasta luego!

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete