Traduce Aqui:

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Another Year

Heading out of town "hydrating" ;)
The last days of summer are rolling by too quickly to keep track of!  My recuperation exam was this morning.  I definitely felt better prepared, but I know that I made a few mistakes so my dreams of redeeming my failure with a perfect 10 are out.  Still, I think I can pull a 7 or 8.  Doing a make up exam at the end of summer has been the worst part of this last month of vacation.  I did wake up every day through August to study, just like I promised on my blog... and I think it paid off today.  But believe me it was NOT easy; if I suffer from lack of motivation at the end of a semester, there's even less in the middle of summer with good weather, no classes and so many other (more fun) things to do!

Today is also the beginning of the local festivities for the Patroness of La Roda, La Virgen de los Llanos.  I'm dressing in my flamenco dress to carry San Pancracio's flower offering to the church--another one of those yearly activities that begins to mark the time I've spent here.

The tratidional "We made it" photo. :)
Coinciding with La Roda's Patronal celebrations, in the neighboring town of Corcoya they also celebrate their Patroness the Virgen de la Fuensanta.  Wednesday, I made the yearly night-time pilgrimage to visit her.  Every year some combination of my friends get together to walk the 12 kilometers along the winding country road from La Roda to Corcoya.  This year there were fewer of us than in past years (only five); but we made record time--a little over 2 hours.  We left La Roda just after 8:30 pm and were entering Corcoya a little before eleven.  The walk flew by... unlike some past years when the mile markers have seemed to get further and further apart the longer we walk. ;)

Fewer people meant fewer bathroom stops, and fewer stops to rest or smoke.  We loaded up with gummy treats, sunflower seeds, potato chips and a cold beer each (except for me, of course!) before leaving town so we spent the walk snacking and chatting.  What could be better?  In Corcoya a friend came with her son (and her car!) and after visiting the Fuensanta and having a cold one with our dinner sandwiches, we piled in the car and headed home.  

Another year has come and gone.

The church in Corcoya.

2 comments:

  1. You're such a little Spaniard :) I love you twinne
    xx
    Note to self: become Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! :) <3 I love you, Mags.

    ReplyDelete