Traduce Aqui:

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Proud Moment

Last week we began painting in the new pub and this week we're still at it.  They say too many cooks spoil the stew, and it seems the same is true of too many people giving opinions about paint colors!  We've had more than one heated discussion about the virtues of beige versus cream, or grey versus green or yellow. And we've even had to make a trip back to the paint shop to fix colors that didn't end up the way we'd imagined.  But, we've also had spontaneous outbursts of enthusiasm for the bronze/metallic ceiling and the pearl waves above the bar.  I've always enjoyed painting, but it's especially good to feel useful in all of this; good to be getting my hands dirty (or painty, as the case may be).  

At last all the colors have been chosen and I think by tomorrow we'll be finished inside.  Once painting is finished we'll put up the doors.  The plumber installed the toilets yesterday, we're still waiting on the sinks; and the glass for the windows and doors.  Then it's onto things like bar stools, tables and lamps...  After tomorrow, the only thing left to paint will be the exterior walls--a steel grey.  I wish I could post pictures for you all to appreciate the process with me, but I'm afraid internet publicity is strictly forbidden until we've opened for business.  We wouldn't want to ruin the surprise. ;)

Yesterday we also got a much awaited shipment in the mail--the lamps to hang above the bar.  In the end we found a deal on the internet and for 54 euros each (not bad...if you overlook the 21% VAT added to the total purchase!) we bought five of the most beautiful lamps imaginable.  They are Aladdin-style, gold beauties.  With each lamp comes a little plastic bag containing a pair of gloves so as not to leave fingerprints during installations! (ooh-la-la!)  

Angelines was beside herself with joy when we opened the boxes to have a look at our purchase.  The internet photos just don't do justice.  She could hardly contain herself and I was overcome with happiness and pride as I watched her face light up like a kid's at Christmas.  She's worked so hard for this moment.  She's spent so long saving and planning and with all the commotion of the construction it seems neither of us has really been able to step back and realize that when all this is over, she'll finally have her pub--her OWN place.  This is big.  Staring at our reflections in the lamp's golden curves I realized what this means to her and I think that if she doesn't cry when we finally open, I just might.

2 comments:

  1. Pub? My dear you've been on the other side for too long! :)

    I'm so happy that it's all coming together! I can't wait to see it, or better yet come have a cervecita (spelling?) in Mary's very own "pub"

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooooooo exited for you both! You are both courageous and will be rewarded amply. Can't wait to see and experience the finished product!

    ReplyDelete