Traduce Aqui:

Thursday, June 17, 2010

The making of a fan

Maybe they're the ad's on TV, maybe it's the fun of seeing 32 countries from around the world put aside politics to fight it out on the field, or perhaps the contagious passion of Spaniards and their futbol; but whatever it is, I am becoming a soccer fan.

I've watched six full games and parts of at least two others, I check the FIFA website for stats, and I have even begun to scream at the TV--it's that serious. So little by little I'm actually beginning to know what I'm watching as I sit transfixed game after game. ;)

Like a lot of Americans, soccer wasn't part of my sports experience growing up. It was softball and later basketball. I never got into football. So being here in Spain, where soccer is THE sport, it's frustrating because I like it and I like to watch games; but I've never really known what I was watching. I'm still not qualified to referee a game, but I can follow the plays and make my own judgement as to whether or not the ref has made a good call.

I'm being swept up in the whirlwind of the South African World Cup!

Spain lost their first game yesterday: 0-1 Switzerland. It was a shock to all of us, especially since Spain totally out-played the Swiss the entire 90 min. It was a lucky goal for the Swiss and bad luck for the Spanish who just couldn't seem to get a goal although they had I don't know how many different shots! Don't worry, we'll still pass; I'm confident.

Mexico has just beat France for the first time EVER--Hooray! The final score was 2-0. This almost certainly puts France out of the Cup. They've got one more game with South Africa and then it's time to tally goals. Mexico, on the other hand, must beat Uruguay to pass to the next round of games.

Tomorrow the U.S. plays Slovenia. We need to win that one. I will be cheering for the motherland there. Until it's a Spain vs. U.S. game, I'm all for the red, white and blue! ;) When it comes down to it though, I'm afraid I must say, "Estoy con La Roja!"

Viva el mudial!

No comments:

Post a Comment