Traduce Aqui:

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Crossing the puddle!!!

Spaniards affectionately call the Atlantic el charco (the puddle) and I am currently at t-12 hours from boarding my trans-Atlantic flight. :)

Yipppeeeee!!!!

I am so excited for this trip. It's been about a year and a half since I saw any of my Portland people (except Emily, who came to my wedding), and a year since I saw most of my family. I know it's not really that long, but this year was a landmark--the first time in my life I've spent 12 consecutive months outside the U.S. without a visit home. However, that fact does make me a little sad just to think that I don't know for certain how many more months (years?) will go by before another visit. The reality of my chosen life abroad is beginning to sink in a bit more.

...We'll save those thoughts for another post, shall we??

For now, I prefer to be excited to see my Girls in Portland, my cousins and Aunt Ann, ex-professors, and the beautiful, green trails of Forest Park. I can't wait to pick strawberries on Sauvie Island or show Angelines the Columbia River Gorge and Multnomah Falls. And I am thrilled by the prospect of eating at the Downtown Farmer's Market, getting lost in Powell's Books and strolling the streets of my beloved Portland. :)

Hooray!

Angelines is at work currently...I don't think she'll even be jet-lagged; she's on Pacific Standard Time! The only problem is that even though she's small, she can't seem to get comfortable enough on a plane to sleep! Oh well, I'll try to contain my enthusiasm for my NW home away from home a little so we can relax some (in the beginning, of course). I do have my mom's tendency to want to hit the ground running. ;)

Our bag is packed (that's right, just one), our lunch for tomorrow's made, I've got lists of last min. things to add to the suitcase--I can't believe how organized I am for this trip! It must be Angelines's influence; as they say in Spain, "todo se pega menos lo bonito" (everything sticks except the nice stuff!). Ha!

Well, that's all folks; I can't wait to see many of you soon!!

-Love from a weary but oh so excited ex-pat. :)

2 comments:

  1. ahhhhh, wish I could see you! I hope you have a safe, fabulous trip. wish I could be there *hugs and love*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you all came over for a visit. If you get to Tahoe call us.We should be home & Meliss & peter will be here also.
    Love

    David & Barbara

    ReplyDelete