Traduce Aqui:

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Semana Santa

Semana Santa officially started last Sunday (Palm Sunday), but the processions here in La Roda don't begin until tonight at midnight. Tonight is the first procession of the week: Jesus el Cautivo. The statue of Jesus comes out tonight alone, not like the other processions where he's accompanied by the Virgin.

Tonight the Romans come to the church, knock on the door and ask for the Nazarene. The city cuts the power in the neighborhood of the church, and the only light is that of the full moon and a small spotlight on the front of the paso that illuminates the statue of Jesus standing with hands tied on a bed of rosemary. This is a silent procession, except for the drums of the Romans (people actually dressed as Romans with armour, etc.) and as Jesus makes his way out of the church doors, his shadow creeping up the church facade puts your hair on end. It really is a powerful scene; and I'm not religious.

Once he's out you can hear the whispers of the people and the snaps of digital pictures. The flashes from cameras always annoys me, but it really is an image you want to catch with the camera. Angelines has asked me to please film the salida for her, since it's been years since she was able to see it herself. She'll be working. Semana Santa is one of the busiest times of year for the bar; closing at midnight wouldn't be a good business move. I'll see if I can post the video here for you all to see.

The week is flying by. I really can't believe it's already Wednesday! Monday was fantastic because Angelines and I went to Malaga and I bought a new mountain bike. :) I can't wait to get out and about on the paths that wind through the olives here. I've been dying for a bike, but with the bad weather we had I was able to put off getting one: I wouldn't be able to ride anyway! Now that the weather's cleared up some, and we've set our clocks forward, I think I'll be able to get in some good rides before summer.

Tuesday was a blur of preparations for today: cleaning the bar and shopping and restocking. And then our daily cervecita before lunch turned into an all afternoon affair because various friends kept coming in and ordering more rounds. We ended up having "lunch" at 5pm...then napping until 8. Ahhh...that's what vacation's for, though, right?

Really it's just wonderful to have had these few days with Angelines. Our schedules are so conflicting that we never have a FULL day together when neither of us has to work. We see each other a lot, but it's not the same when it's between jobs or at the end of the day when I'm tired or at 2 or 3 am when she gets off work. Monday and Tuesday were great just because we got to hang out together.

Bueno, I've got to get my cooking for the week out of the way and get dressed for the procession tonight. ;) More later.

love from Andalucia

No comments:

Post a Comment