Traduce Aqui:

Friday, November 3, 2017

Three years

Three years ago today at around five in the evening, I set off on a long walk with my mom, my dog and a belly that added around 20 lbs to my own weight.  We walked around 4 miles, I think, and that night I went into labour.  At just before 3pm the following day, November 4th, our Emily Alejandra joined us in this world.

I can hardly believe that three years have gone by.  The time seems both long and short all at once.  I can confidently say that motherhood is the best thing that's ever happened to me.  Watching my little girl grow and discover, explore and learn as the days go by is a gift I am thankful for daily; although it is true that parenting does not come free of frustration and challenges. ;)  Still, the balance at the end of the day is positive and it seems that more and more I am in awe of this wonderful little person who calls me mommy.

Wednesday we celebrated her birthday early because the 1st is a holiday and so it was easy for guests to come to the party.  Unlike other years, this year we celebrated at the bar and in general it was so much better.  There was all-in-all less prep and clean up than when we've celebrated at home; but on the down-side, Angelines sort of automatically went into work mode and spent the whole evening behind the bar (!).  She really wasn't able to enjoy the company or play with Emily or even really be a part of much of anything. :(

You may remember that last year I was adamant about not handing out the typical candy bags or having lots of junk candy around for the kids.  Last year we had a craft prepared, but this year I decided to make up a game that I'd seen on a Peppa Pig episode: Pass the Parcel (it's an English programme ;)).  You wrap up a gift then wrap another one over that and just keep layering gifts. Then the kids pass the parcel around a circle to music.  When the music stops the child who's holding the package opens a layer and takes the gift. :)  It looked like a lot of fun and so I ordered a bunch of little bubble blowers as party favours and started wrapping.  It was a huge hit with all...except Emily!  She began to cry because she wanted to open a "green one" (I had wrapped each layer in a different color).  Oh well, as the song says, "It was her party..."

I had also prepared Pin the Tail on the Donkey to play, but when the time came, I couldn't find where we'd put all the twenty tails I'd drawn and cut out!  Of course cleaning up we came across the bag, but I was so disappointed in the moment because my donkey, which I'd drawn on the chalk board, had come out so nice, and I know the kids would have had a lot of fun playing.  In the end though they were satisfied with bubble blowing, face painting, races and a little bit of hide-and-seek. ;)

I was even quite pleased with the gifts Emily got.  Those of you who have been reading for some time know how I feel about junk gifts and/or sexist gifts.  She got several puzzles, some clothes (which weren't too prissy), crayons, an animal encyclopedia, a care bear and a back pack.  Then there was the princess dress and a little pricess doll...but what can you do??  Anglines and I gave her a "real" bike (electric blue and black).  It's a little big for her still, but she's beginning to get the hang of peddaling after just a few trips around the cul de sac at the end of our street.  She'll be flying soon, I'm sure.

Tomorrow on her actual birthday we don't have anything special planned but Sunday is our scheduled visit to the Alhambra and her mama decided to join us too!  So the whole family (minus Bela) will be going on an outing Sunday and I think that's probably the best gift ever.

I'll leave you with a few more pictures:




She calls this little fireman puppet "Pappa" ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment