Traduce Aqui:

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Granada

I'm a bit behind with posting (surprise, surprise...), but here I am diligently back-blogging and playing catch up as it seems I am with every other area of my life at the moment.  Work has been crazy, perhaps I'll get to that in another post.  For now, however, I would just like to focus on the wonderful, beautiful day we had in Granada two weeks ago.
Our cousin Montse came along, too!

The day after Emily's birthday we had booked tickets to see the Alhambra, it's become such an attraction that even in the low tourist season you must book several weeks in advance because there's just no way to get day-of tickets unless you're in line at 6am (out of the question in our situation).  This was actually Natalie's second trip to Granada since we went once in October naievely believing that we'd be able to get into the Nazari Palaces arriving at the ticket booth around 12am.  That day we ended up just enjoying the city, getting ice cream in the center, tea at a typical tea house, and souvenir shopping in the medina next to the cathedral.  It wasn't a wasted day by any means and in fact it meant that this second visit was less rushed (to an extent).

Saturday night had been unexpectedly crazy at the bar and Anglienes got to bed around 6am!  We woke up early and even Natalie came to clean with us, but it was so filthy that we took much longer than expected.  Angelines, having fallen asleep so late/early, also over-slept some and so by the time we got out of the house we were about 40min behind schedule. 

View of the Alhambra from the Albayzín.
Our plan was to mean up with my host family from Granada.  Their American student was away for the weekend and so they had no obligations at home.  I had hoped to have tapas and wander around a bit with them before heading to the Alhambra for our scheduled entrance to the palaces at 5:00.  However, my plan was thrown off course somewhat, when I decided to check in at the ticket booth to get our tickets printed (the ones I'd printed online had got water spilled on them in the car!).  The woman informed me that the entire Alhambra closes at 6 and so we needed to be there sooner if we wanted to see the gardens of the Generalife and the Alcazaba. :(  That mean we had precious little time to eat and be with my family because we didn't end up meeting up with them until around 1 o'clock.

Our lunch was a little rushed and in the end we had to go quite quickly through the Generalife and skip the Alcazaba altogether, but every minute with the family was 100% worth it for me, and I think Natalie wasn't too disappointed to miss the Alcazaba (it's the least impressive in my opinion--just some great views of Granada).  I hadn't seen Isa, Baldo or either of the boys since last March!  "Little" Isa is home now from a year living and working in Czech Republic and we met up with her on our first visit to Granada in October.  This time she brought along her boyfriend. :)  They were all duely impressed with our little Emily, and she in turn was very impressed with Fernando's ponytail and Antonio's long dreds.  That evening back at home she began calling herself "Princess Fernando".

As I mentioned, our table talk over lunch was cut short and I was sorry to say goodbye so soon.  I think though that little Isa is planning a surprise for her mother now that she has a driver's licence and is going to just put her in the car one day without telling her where they're going then show up here in La Roda.  I think it's a fantastic idea!  We hugged and kissed and said (as always) that we really must see each other more often.  Then we hit the narrow cobbled streets of the Albayzín heading downhill to the center to catch a bus back up to the Alhambra (you can only walk so much with the whole family in tow).  On our way down the hill I realized I hadn't taken a single picture with my family!

Emily and Montse LOVED the fountains.
With the time change the sun goes down so much sooner.  The wind was picking up as we waited in line for the palaces and we were thankful we'd brought our coats.  This was the first time I'd been back into the Alhambra since my exchange.  I think I went around ten times that one year, but I haven't been back since--it was as amazing as I remembered it and more.  They've, of course, continued to do so much restoration on the plaster work, painting and wood work.  The Patio de los Leones was running and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case on my exchange, in fact, I think on one of my visits the lions were "fakes" as the real ones were being restored. 



I had a great time pointing our the shapes and colors to Emily, showing her the intricate tile and woodwork and marvelling at the architecture.  She was most impressed by the Generalife gardens since she loves to smell flowers.  We walked into the Patio de la Acequia and she just took a deep breath through her nose and sighed. :)  Indeed, the moors planted their patios with all kinds of aromatic herbs and flowers to make them a sanctuary for the senses.  Once again, visiting with Emily was a whole new experience.

All of us, especially Angelines were worn out by the end of the day, but poor mama came home and had to go to work at the bar.  The rest of us climed into our PJ's grubbed up some dinner and went to bed early.

Typical Islamic geometric decorations...the center of the star has been replaced by Emperor Carlos V emblem "Plus Ultra"
The time of day made for amazing shadows through the celosías (decorative window shutters).




I don't remember so much painting.  They've been restoring this little by little--amazingly intricate.
 

Is it any wonder this city stole my heart?

3 comments:

  1. ahhhhh ... Granada!! This city has stolen MY heart, also :) I'd love to return again, too ... tea and crepes, Isa and Baldo, the Alhambra, the Moorish section, AND ... that Roman Bathe House - best birthday present EVR!!
    Love you, Tour-Guide One <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart, too!!! Ahhhh I must come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Granada and the Alhambra so much! Remember when I came to visit you way back when I was studying in Barcelona and we met in Granada and toured the Alhambra?? So many amazing memories. I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete