Traduce Aqui:

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Merry Little Christmas

...This is a bit late in coming.  Sorry!  I started this post on Christmas day and I´m only just finishing it on Jan. 1st!  Oh well.  Before I tell you all about New Years, however, I wanted to tell you how my Merry little Chirstmas ended up. :)

Mexican soap operas and weather aside, it was a very nice Christmas.  I don't remember if I mentioned that I was knitting a surpise scarf for Angelines.  I bought the wool the Friday before and spent the evening/night knitting away while chatting with my mom on skype. :)  Saturday I relized I'd need more wool to finish the scarf and I also decided I had made it too wide so in Penelope fashion, I unravelled everything from the night before and started over again!  Saturday evening I skyped mom again.  She was wrapping xmas presents, so we kept each other company.  In the end, it's a four color scarf: stripes of burgundy, navy blue, grey and tan.  It's very pretty and A loved it. :) 
I decided that I wanted to give it to her for Christmas insead of Reyes when Spaniards usually exchange gifts.  I was very insistant that she write a note to Santa Clause or he wouldn't bring her anything...apparantly that tipped her off to the fact that she was getting a Christmas present (in general, neither of us is a big gift giver).  She called a friend in a panic and asked him to get me something for Christmas!

After Christmas dinner I was too beat to go to mass as I have in the past and I just ended up going to bed.  At 6:30am, when Angelines got home from work I woke up to see how the night had gone and she greeted me in the hall saying, "Santa came!"  I had left out anis liquor (typical at Christmas time in Spain) and some sweets from my mother-in-law for Santa.  After writing my own note to him, I wrote a letter from Santa for us with a pretty silver pen and left it on the mantel by our stockings along with a nibbled pestiño. ;)

I wasn't expecting anything from her, so I was happiliy surprised when she insisted that "Santa came" and I should look by the fire.  It was just like when I was a little girl and I'd wake up at dawn to sneak out and look at my presents!  So at 6:30 on Christmas morning, we exchanged gifts.  She gave me a very soft stuffed puppy. ;)  cute.

Later that morning I went to clean at the bar with my mother and sister-in-law and the morning was slightly spoiled when I popped the tire driving the glass down to the recycling bin!  It was POURING rain and very windy.  We called my brother-in-law, who's a very big guy...but not even he could loosen the bolts on the tire to change the flat!  We had to call the insurance company to send some one!  Merry Christmas!

My sisters came on the 27th.  I'll fill you in on that in another post.  For now suffice it to say that we are having a blast.  Starting the New Year with my sissies is just about the best Christmas present a girl could ask for! :)
Kisses from Spain!

This little round stool was an early xmas gift from A--she made it for me! :)

Merry Christmas! :(

...The Spanish version of Christmas snow. ;)

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post! You should write it as a short story. How sweet of A, and what a wonderful girl you are. Thanks for sharing this with us!!

    ReplyDelete