Traduce Aqui:

Friday, August 3, 2012

A Bit of Back-Blog:

Suzanne, Kate and me enjoying the music with full bellies.
Two months is a long time to be away from my home in Spain... but in the end I think it's going to be just about the right amount.  I've been able to see nearly all my family and most of my friends and I haven't been so incredibly crazy as not to be able to enjoy just being back.  A few weeks ago my mom and I spent a fantastic day out on the horses and I've been meaning to blog about it since.

The stars of Code Bluegrass. :)
In the morning we loaded up the caballos and headed up to Plumas Eureka State Park for their pancake breakfast fundraiser.  My friend's parents' band, Code Bluegrass, was doing live entertainment and so we stomped our feet to the music as we downed beer-batter flapjacks, scrambled eggs and sausages. :)  I was even asked to swing dance with one of the men in living history get up...  it turned out to be the world's longest song and we were huffing and puffing by the end of our time out on the "floor".  It was loads of fun especially since my dear friend Katie and her sister were able to join us.


Swingin' like a miner. 
After breakfast, my mom and I headed to Jamison Mine trail head for a day out on the horses.  We had our picnic lunches and spent about five hours total exploring the back side of Lakes Basin.  My mom had never been out on these trails so it was new for her.  The first half mile was pretty rough for the horses, very steep and a lot of granite steps that are great for hikers but a little less fun on horse-back.  Still, our little mountain ponies did just fine and after that initial bit the rest of the ride was cake.  My little colt, who's not quite so little anymore, did great.  He's always a little silly when it comes to water crossings (tries to jump, etc.), but by the end of the ride he was plowing through the creeks like a little champ--didn't even phase him.


Lunch break at Wayde's Lake.

Fuego in his Spanish garb. ;)
We stopped at Wayde's lake for lunch and let the horses graze a little, then headed over to Rock lake just to explore.  Rock lake is gorgeous!  It's just a pristine pool in a granite bowl and the water is crystal clear.  We walked our horses down to it so they could have a drink. Fuego wanted to swimming: I had to rein him in quickly to avoid riding home in wet jeans! 

Looking out over Rock Lake.
The weather was perfect--sunny but breezy--and it was so great just to be out enjoying the world from the back of my horse with my mom's company.  When we finally got back to the trailer, we headed down to the restaurant/grill where Lucy works for a cold margarita each--boy did that taste good!  A wonderful way to end such a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post Viope! It has been so wonderful having you here with us for so much of the summer! Love the beautiful pictures too!

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete