Traduce Aqui:

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Generals and Teachers

The other day, just before my duathlon, I went into the grocer's for some bananas and a few other fruits and veggies and rather than being greeted with the usual "buenos días," was met by "Are you training to be a policewoman?" I was shocked and even looked around to be sure the owner behind the counter was talking to me--policewoman?!

"No," I answered, surprised and wondering where on Earth she'd gotten such an idea.

"Well," she went on, "you've got the body for it. I've seen you running lately and I figured you must be training for the physical exam to be a Guardia Civil or something."

When I laughed at her reasoning, an elderly man waiting to buy peppers and eggplants piped in with, "Well, why not? Nowadays there are lots of women in the civil service!" I couldn't argue with that, but left the conversation stating my lack of interest in the profession. Sure, I can "be serious" as they assured me was all it took to be good at the job, but somehow busting people for speeding, etc. doesn't get me very excited.

Once I got home, I had to laugh over the whole exchange: why in the world would anyone, much less a woman, run so much if she weren't training to be a general!? ;)

---

From my latest book: Half Broke Horses--Jeannette Walls

In this day and age, she went on, there were really only three careers available. A woman could become a nurse, a secretary, or a teacher.
"Or a nun," I said.
"Or a nun," Mother Albertina said with a smile. "But you need to have the calling. Do you think you have the calling?"
I had to admit I wasn't sure.
"You have time to reflect on it," she said. "But whether or not you become a nun, I think you'd make a wonderful teacher. You have a strong personality. The women I know with strong personalities, the ones who might have become generals or the heads of companies if they were men, become teachers."
"Like you," I said.
"Like me." She paused for a moment. "Teaching is a calling, too. And I've always thought that teachers in their way are holy--angels leading their flocks out of the darkness."

---

So perhaps it's my "strong personality" that draws me to teaching even though in this day and age I most certainly could become a general!

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha you'd be such a bad ass cop! That's quite the conversation you had there hahaha, oh my gosh :)

    Love you, my strong willed twinnie :)
    Mags

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree....Actually, you could become anything you wanted to become. I have always been so proud of your confident persona. The other good news, is that what ever you choose, you will be the best at it!!

    Love you,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. teehee :-) way to go, Vi! that just speaks to your running prowess.

    And I love Jeannette Walls. I've just read her memoir (Glass Castles, I think). I'd love to read half broke horses. Thanks for the words of inspiration about teaching. Classwork is making me beat my head against the wall over here.

    ReplyDelete