Traduce Aqui:

Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Whirlwind! (or Sisters in Spain)

This week I've been playing catch up after a much needed and really relaxing break; not to be confused, however with a restful break. We had a total of five visitors in two weeks (Angelines was about to start charging per night!) and three big holidays. That all adds up to a lot of fun, very little sleep and no school work, which is great for a vacation, but not great when it's over! I haven't had a minute to sit down to blog since Christmas, but trust me, it hasn't been for lack of material!

Unfortunately, as usually happens when I wait too long to blog, the moment has passed... You're going to have to settle for the short version:

The highlight of my Christmas break was by far the last-minute visit from my sister, Maggie! Talking on Skype shortly after Christmas, I suggested she come visit me since we both were on vacation... The next day she'd found a ticket from Charleroi (Belgium) to Malaga for just 80 euros! I couldn't believe the price--last min. AND during holidays!! So at 11:45 pm on the 4th, I was hugging my sister in the arrivals area of Pablo Picasso airport--by far the best Christmas present the Three Wise Men have brought me since coming to Spain. ;) So from the 4-10 of January we joked, laughed, and talked nearly non-stop (I've been horse for the better part of the week!). There wasn't a night we got to bed before 3am.

It was a fabulous visit...or as Maggie put it: "fanatabulistic." She was nine when I left home for college and that eight-year age difference along with geographical distance, has always been a barrier between us. I've always envied the relationship she and Lucy have, being so close in age: they are friends for one another. I've never had that kind of relationship with either of my youngest sisters. But nearly a week of late-night conversations seems to have remedied that situation.


The truth is it's really exciting to realize that my sister is a person, and a cool one, at that! She was so little when I left home that I've somehow managed to maintain that baby image over the past 10 years. I guess being absent for most of her childhood/adolescence makes it seem as though from one day to the next she's suddenly grown up. It's a little surprising, but the snotty little rat I left at home 10 years ago has become a really great person, someone I'm glad to be friends with and proud to call my sister.



(did I say "cool"??)

We were all sad when it was time to say goodbye...

I love you Maggie. <3

2 comments:

  1. Opie! :D I love you so much, it's true that that was like the best trip ever :)I can't wait for more fantabulistic sister (twinnie) bonding time!!
    xoxo Love,
    Maggie
    P.S. you made my day with your 'cool' comment...Viola thinks I'm cool! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the wonderful counterpoint to Moe's post about her trip to see you. It makes MY heart "soar like a hawk" to see you two enjoying one another so much. Em is happy to see this too!

    Sibling bonds are so incredible, enjoy them for the rest of your life!!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete