Traduce Aqui:

Friday, September 17, 2010

September Storms and Soup

Welcome Fall.

Autumn weather has come to Sevilla one week before the official beginning of the season. I put on a pair of jeans for the first time since May today. And for the first time since the end of spring, we ate soup for lunch.

Today was a perfect soup day. All last night it rained and today was cool and cloudy with intermittent showers. I don't think I've ever been so acutely aware of seasonal foods as I am living here in Spain. From June through August we live on gazpacho, porra, potato salads, pasta salads... cool, fresh food. Nothing is less appealing in the middle of summer than a steaming bowl of anything.

Not so today. Today steaming tomato and roasted red pepper soup was just the ticket. Cold soups are delicious in 100 degree weather, but I don't think there's anything so satisfying as the warm feeling--inside and out--that comes from a spoonful of hot soup on a cold, rainy day.

Here's to the changing seasons!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! That looks delicious! :] My dear twinnie, I couldn't agree more about the soup, so, here's to soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You surely have a culinary talent Opal! Wish you were here to dine with me!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete