Traduce Aqui:

Friday, August 26, 2016

My Little Chatterbox

Now that you're somewhat up-to-date with our travels, I thought I should post a quick something about my dear Emily Alejandra.

Maybe it was exposure to a third language, or maybe she's just growing up, but her language skills really took off over the four days we were in Belgium.  I was amazed by the sudden change--even I noticed it and usually those kinds of changes in children aren't noticeable for those of us who are with the kid 24/7.  Anyway, she came back to Spain talking a blue streak.  Although she mixes the two languages, many of her words remain English.  I am sure this has everything to do with my parents' visit and the extra doses of English she was getting with them.

She is becoming more and more of a parrot--repeating everything, and often with fairly good pronunciation.  But even more fun is that she is beginning to speak intentionally and spontaneously to communicate beyond simply asking for things.  A favourite is rememorating time and time again, her many falls and "pupas" (owies) that she has on her knees.  The light pink scars do kind of stand out now that her legs are so tan from the beach!  She also likes to point out if anyone is wearing shashes (glasses) or a coco (ponytail).  Yesterday she popped out with: "Bye-bye, beach!" as we were heading to the car after our Wednesday outing to Málaga.

It is also amazing to me to see how much she remembers based on what she says. Of course her memory is best when it comes to her numerous falls, but I have been surprised and pleased by how much she remembers my parents' visit and our time in Belgium with Nanny (Maggie).  One of my dad's projects while he was here was covering our BBQ stovepipe (cement) in white cement so that it would blend in more with the patio wall and then my mom and I decorated it with beach shells she had collected.  They helped Emmy put her handprint in the wet cement and wrote her name and the date.  Several times since our return from Belguique, she has pointed to the BBQ and said, "Me hand Poppa, Ga".

She also remembers clearly a more traumatizing moment in Belgium when she ripped Aunt Maggie's glasses off her face and tore out her nose ring!  It sounds worse than it actually was, but Maggie's nose was bleeding and it certainly hurt.  Emily was shocked by her Auntie's reaction and when I pointed out she'd given Nanny a pupa she was pretty interested.  I asked her to appologize and now at random moments, when she remembers, she'll pop up with: "Sorry, Nanny.  Pupa nose shashes."

And then there are the times that she unintelligibly babbles.  I've been on skype twice now since coming back from our trip and both times she is right there babbling away, doing her best to talk over whoever is on the other end of the call!  We can hardly get a word in edge-wise.  If you want to skype with me it's best to do it after she's asleep...though she's so darn cute, it's a shame to miss her.

Speaking of her antics, we've actually just come home from an evening out in Estepa.  My boss told me about a concert that one of our students was directing and I thought that sounded like fun.  Emily loves music and especially dancing and clapping--she is very flamenca!  This was going to be different medlies and rock-fusion played by a concert band, but I knew Em would be up for it.  And she was.  She danced up a storm!  My boss and her husband were, of course, enchanted with her.  After various dance performances and leading them around to see interesting things (leaves, rocks, etc.) she blew them kisses when it was time to come home.  I think their hearts had completely melted by that point!

She is a gift. I really don't know what I did to deserve such a wonderful, social, sweet, patient, fun daughter.

1 comment:

  1. Emily is exceptional like her Mother. Your writing brings back many memories of you at that age. Very similar! De tal palo, tal astilla!

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete