Traduce Aqui:

Friday, October 16, 2015

An Afternoon with Auntie Antonia

My big girl
Yesterday evening I got a message from my boss that she needed me to work Friday afternoon instead of in the morning.  My heart sank and until I went to bed I had a knot in my stomach.  The "afternoon" shift is from 4-9pm.  Fridays are days that Angelines goes to work, and so we asked my sister-in-law to babysit.  This was the first time that little Emily was away from her mommies for longer than an hour, but of course her auntie is no stranger.  According to Toñi's report, she was great and didn't fuss or cry at all.  She ate her dinner, had a great bath and played nicely all afternoon.

It may seem silly, but today marked a milestone.  I am delighted that the evening at her auntie's house wasn't a traumatic experience, but it is still a little bittersweet: just one more reminder that my little girl is growing up.  I really cannot believe that in less than three weeks she'll be a year old. 

Work continues to go well.  I am extremely grateful that my boss is so flexible with my schedule.  I think I have mentioned that I am contracted for 20 hours per week, although lately I've been working 25 (those extra five being under the table).  But the schedule has been hard for all of us to adapt to and working five days a week (even if it is just for five hours a day) is hard because it means that Angelines and I never have a full day together in family.  Working in the morning is better, but afternoons are awful.  We decided that if I had Wednesdays off things would be much better, even if it does mean a cut in pay.  She works Thurs. through Sun. so having a Friday off, for example makes no sense for us.  Anyway, my boss re-worked my schedule and beginning next week we will have a full day in the middle of the week to do whatever we want (or need) to do. :)

And so, of course, when I got the last minute message to work this afternoon instead of morning, there was little I could do other than call in the babysitting reserves and get myself to Estepa at 4. 

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours...

1 comment:

  1. WOW - did I ever have a lot of blogging to catch up on, having been gone so long!!! What a treat it was to sip my iced coffee and catch up with my Spaniards!! I'm so happy for you to be "out from under" the lesson planning, Op, and I'm sure you'll quickly become adept at conjuring up captivating experiences on the fly in your kids classes - you're so creative. What a gal!! XOXO-Ma

    ReplyDelete