Traduce Aqui:

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thank you

Today is St. Joseph's Day.  Joseph, being the the biblical Patriarch, also means today is Father's day in Spain.  Although my daughter doesn't have a father, so to speak, I would like to dedicate this post to her donor.

Thank you for making this miracle possible, for making our dreams come true.

Ode to an Anonymous Donor

Blue eyes.
Straight blond hair.
Height, weight and blood type.
Age thirty years at time of donation.

No name, no picture, no dossier.
No nationality, no IQ...
No "likes long walks on the beach"...

Nothing personal,
This is science:
A phenotype as similar to my own as possible.
(Am I having a clone?)

But...
We're told to
Never judge a book by its cover;
Beauty is only skin deep.

And...
(One more aphorism)
Actions speak louder than words.

A simple act--like so many others--with
Great consequences.
Did you consider the unknown future of the being(s) that would carry your
DNA into a new generation?
Did you worry?
Did you wonder?

I can tell you
Her eyes are a deep, inquisitive blue.
With a smile, they're electric cresent moons.
Pale dandelion fuzz covers her head.
She. is. Beautiful.

...And I hope,
That solidarity is hereditary
And altruism genetic.

5 comments:

  1. And I hope that the ability to express oneself magically, and love completely can be "cloned". You are such a beautiful family. We are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful poem Viola, and so is Em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this.
    SO MUCH.

    Thank you for your beautiful words, dearest. Little Emily is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! You and little Em are just amazing! I love you both so much, can't wait to be with you again in a few months :) xxxxoooo

    ReplyDelete